Monday, July 11, 2005

Day 3 KOLN, Germany
9 June 2005 Thursday

We pulled into the port at Koln at about 2 PM after lunch. Divided into our three tour colors and disembarked. The big sights at Koln were the Koln Cathedral. Tour was led by a Dr. Utte who seemed to me either an art or architectural historian. Excellent English and very knowledgeable. This was the oldest largest cathedral in Europe. Left relatively untouched by WWII bombs. Evidence was that the Allied bombers deliberately avoided this glorious cathedral that took over 600 years to complete. ENORMOUS interior. Soaring stained glass windows. Mosaic floors, ornate wood. Stone. And this was not at all the most beautiful of the cathedrals I’ve ever seen. There were some lovely portions (one triptych in particular) but no more for me.

I took as many photographs as I possibly could, and then the power in my camera gave out altogether. We were left to our own devices to make it back to the ship on our own, which my mother and I did do, heading the entire time towards the Rhine.

Thus far, my mother has not suffered too much. She rests when she needs to rest and naps. The pacing and timing of the tour is just right for her. Hurray!

I have JUST discovered this little library on the ship. (It has taken me long enough!) Shelves with novels and magazines. A guitar! A violin! Boxes of puzzles, board games, and a false fireplace. And luckily, a computer where we can send a message for $2.00 which will be charged to our room account. Such a deal! Now we can stay in constant communication, which means you folks HAVE to write back.

In the end, Koln was somewhat overcast and dreary. Somehow I was hoping for a brilliant day, but this was not a day like that. I was glad to get back on board and clean up for our evening events. Port Talk and dinner. Entertainment was far better than the first. A'Capella group of young people singing. I think you all would have enjoyed the evening and I couldn’t help but remember Kristin’s Carmina Burana Concert in Worcester. Uplifting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home