Monday, July 11, 2005

Day 9 Sailing Day
15 June 2005 Wednesday

Schweinfurt

Yesterday those of us who did not go to the Roethenburg Castle, took a walking tour of Schweinfurt. The process of taking a walking tour goes like this: If the entire ship goes to a site whether by bus or by foot, we divide into our three color coded groups that were established from the very first day. On a day where there are optional tours, generally two of the program directors will go with the optional tour and one program director will be left with the group at the ship.

Our three program directors range from their mid twentys to mid thirties. Katya told us early on that she will be retiring after this year to get married and to do something else. She is blonde with a very short haircut. She wears hip huggers and thick belts and snug Ts. The work must be wearing since Katya looks and admits to feeling worn. One can just imagine how stressful things can be with a shipload of passengers and their individual needs. I only hope that we are a less needy group than others.

Schweinfurt was the location of a ball bearing plant during WWII and thus was severely carpeted bombed as a result. Ironically as we were standing and waiting for the walking tour to begin, I felt something under my sandal. A silver bead - a relatively large silver bead with a large hole right through. (!!)Do you remember the green glass beads that I picked up on the streets of Rome? Well, I strung that silver found bead along with several other beads that I bought in Wertheim at the glass blowers studio, and have an eclectic little leather necklace around my neck.

ANYHOW, while we were waiting by the side of the ship, we were informed of a Discovery Hunt or Challenge. Each of us was given a two Euro coin. Our mission is to find something for two euros that represents something significant or memorable about our voyage in Germany. We have been given four days to find some one relatively inexpensive object to then wrap up in some way and randomly exchange when we reach Regensburg. For a sense of scale: a small book of postcards, the ones that are connected together, costs anywhere from 2.50 to 3.00 EU. So 2 EU really is very very little. The group that had been taken to castle was given this same challenge, and some of them may have used their Euros while they went in and out of the Christmas markets at the Roethenburg Castle marketplace. Anyhow, with our Euros in our pockets, we started off with new purpose.

This little walking tour of Schweinfurt was going to be merely a quick trip to the market square and then we were off to our reconnaissance. We looked at the elaborate city hall (Rathuis) which had dark timbers and white plastered walls, gorgeous window boxes of bright deep red geraniums etc. The square was broad and wide with the square paving stones. A bronze statue of the obviously important Frederich Ruckert sat in a prominent spot, and meanwhile we saw a great number of strolling shoppers, some schoolchildren, and basically a leisurely afternoon in a minor urban city of Germany.

My mother and I took our map, noted our locations, and wandered around the little stores in and out. In a store that was once again like a Woolworth's, we found a little padded whirligig sewn flower and spiral tail that was meant to hang from a tree. I reminded my mother that we had seen such a thing hanging in a wonderful pocket garden that was memorable for its gorgeous row of heavy headed white peonies. In fact, the peonies were so very heavy that the gardener, a proud white haired fellow, had built a frame to rest those ponderous blooms neatly. This cost 1.25 and was thus well within the proper amount of money.

We poked in and out of the various stores. Including the H&M store which we have also in America. With my naturally laser sight, I found two matching tops on the 50% off rack: one fuschia and one turquoise. My mother stood by very patiently and watched me go in and out and about as quickly as I possibly could.

On our wandering way back to the boat, we popped into a tourist information center and picked up some information (brochures to be cut up and pasted into my journal). Ironically there were also free little stickers of some past museums exhibits at the local museum. I came back with a wealth of little things to assemble in my journal.

We got back to our cabin and dressed for dinner. I ironed the two tops and discovered that one had a somewhat loose elastic on the shoulder - nothing that can't be fixed later. Oh well.

Dinner and then the evening entertainment was Elvis.
Yes, I did say Elvis. Since his apparent demise, Elvis has been present in a myriad of places all over the world, but also in Schweinfurt Germany. Elvis is now a 30 something fellow in a white jumpsuit and a white macramé belt with ends hanging down and metal ornaments. He was really quite convincing, with his brown pompadour and love handles. Karaoke system, and a CD with 350 of Elvis' songs. Obviously he has practiced all his Elvisms and had done a relatively good job. At one point he had me wipe his sweaty brow with a napkin, and at other times he had various individuals hand him his chilled water and apple juice. Wiggling and gyrating and singing his soulful songs. Elvis also danced with one of the bold woman in our group. Good for her!

At the very very end Elvis gave me the perfect photo opportunity by hugging Mommy which was very funny because this guy was about 6 foot 4 inches tall. I was HIGHLY aware of my mother's discomfort so I quickly got her out of that situation and then realized that I had TRULY missed a great photo op. Silly me, but my mother was glad to be out of the situation as quickly as possible.

It is so interesting to note that most people have an opinion one way or another about the comparisons between the large ocean liners and river cruises. No matter what people say about the myriad of foods, activities and entertainment available on the ocean liners, I cannot imagine the overwhelming numbers on those large trips. It just does not seem attractive to me no matter what anyone says. Some say that the waitstaff is very young and inexperience (even as I typed that one of the young waiters inadvertently dropped a wineglass on the marble tiled floor while walking across with a whole tray of glasses.)

Incidentally, many have just come back from the kitchen tour, which was offered, to all on the tour. I chose not to go because I would have had to get up from my comfy cozy perch on the computer. I have had very little competition on the computer though many of my fellow travelers have come by to peer at my screen and make encouraging noises at me. I have had to explain many times what I am doing and why and how and when and where and who and what. This is alright.

Uneasy sleep again. I keep on getting up at 3:30 - 4:30 am. I have written a bit, sometimes read a bit of "The Eight", which is supposed to be similar to "The Da Vinci Code." Not a very good author, which makes me irritated. There is nothing worse than being in the middle of a mediocre book with few alternative options at hand. I am too far into it to just give up, so I am slugging along.

We left Schweinfurt at 1:00 am and were sailing all throughout early morning until about 8:30 am. Occasional we would bump on the sides of the lock. Lock after lock after lock we have traversed as we travel the Main River and approach the Danube River. Bamburg by breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home